Music Production Project

Summary

In this project I made a remix out of a remix.  What I did was scratch the disc multiple times.  At least 100 times. If not more.  I then turned the decibels up right before the beat dropped and before the beat dropped I made it more quiet.

I thought that helped the remix a lot.  I got that idea from Hannah and I thought that was very smart.  It really helps the remix to come alive.  This project has really taught me about music and how complex it is.  It is a great project and I had the most fun on it out of all of the other projects!

21st Century Skills Demonstrated

Creativity and Innovation

I showed Creativity and Innovation when I was brain storming.  I had goals for this project and at first I thought they were to big of goals.  I thought there was no chance of me making a remix or a song or anything I could call mine that was actually good.  When Mr Le Duc said if you imagine something in your head then you can accomplish that.  I had no idea that I would make what I have made.

I am very proud of it. Another way I showed Creativity and Innovation was I came up with a new style of music.  I have never heard the kind of music I have made.  I replaced the beat with scratching the record.

Personally I have never heard any music like that and I think I might be on to something.  I am probably not but that shows creativity.  Not to mention I went into this project never using this program!

IMG_20160801_083537792

Brainstorm that I made before doing this project on flickr.com

Communication and Collaboration

I showed Communication and Collaboration when I asked Hannah over and over to listen to my composition.  This probably annoyed her but I had to! She really helped me and we talked a lot about our compositions.

She asked me stuff about her composition and I asked her stuff about my composition.  We talked about how we could improve our compositions, what we should take out, what we should leave in, etc.

We talked a lot during this project. Hannah even said that we worked a lot together even though we weren’t on the same team.  We were both independent. Her exact quote was “Ya we worked a lot”.

Giggling as she said this because she realizes that we worked together like the whole time.  I thought that was funny since we were both working independently on our projects.

Media Literacy

I showed Media Literacy by using very effective programs.

I used VirtualDJ 8 which is extremely difficult using if you have never used it in your life.  I used this program and made my own composition. I am also showing Media Literacy by publishing content on the blog you’re reading right now.  I am publishing content daily of my experience.

This all by itself shows I know how to use programs correctly and utilize them in an appropriate way.

I have also used Flickr.com, Sound Cloud, VirtualDJ 8, and more. You can check out my flickr account by just clicking on the brainstorm picture above!

Life Career Skills

I showed adaptability when I used a program I have never used before in my life.  The only thing I knew how to do on this program was drag a song and drop it to have it ready to remix and master.

That is literally all I knew how to do and that was from just reading drag song here.  I played for about an hour with the program.  My goal after an hour was up was to know how to use VirtualDj and have a basic idea of how the program works.

As you can see in the screenshot below all I had was the song and the rest was just nonsense to me.  I started playing around with the record and realized I could spin it to make it scratch.

I found out that this sounds really cool and I started replacing the beat with scratching the disc.

I also showed flexibility when I gave feedback to Hannah for her work and she actually used it which I thought was really cool.

Another way I show adaptability is when some people had to hook up a system to my computer so I couldn’t use it and I moved computers to help.  Scott Le Duc mentioned this and how I was very adaptable and flexible in the situation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottleduc

This is Scott Le Duc’s flickr account.  You should go check it out!

DJ

As you can see in the screenshot above, I knew nothing. I was playing with controls that I didn’t know.  For example I had no idea what gain was.  I watched some YouTube videos about it and found out what it does and that really helped the remix to come alive I think.

Hannah actually suggested that I before the beat drops increase the energy of the sound but not the volume.  That made the remix sound great and I never would of thought of that. Hannah said “During the build up you should increase the energy of the sound but not the volume, I think it will sound better!”  She was very nice about it and she was right!  Thanks Hannah.

A Day In My Life

This is Hannah’s blog and you should check it out. This is one of the best projects she has done and I highly advise you to go check her out!

Composition

Reactions to the Final Version

I had my partner Hannah do a reaction on my composition and she really liked it.  She said how it was very well put together.  When she was done listening to it I could see in her eyes that she was kind of like dang nice job.

I appreciated her reacting on it multiple times and giving me feedback.  We both did this for each other and I think we did a good job of giving each other good feed back.  She really liked my composition and I thought that was very cool!

Evaluation of the Final Version

I love this remix and I have listened to it probably 20 times at least! I like it cause it is mine and I made it but also because I think it has a great beat/scratching.

The maker of the original remix is very talented and I couldn’t have made this remix without him.  I love this remix and I think it is very good and that people could actually enjoy it!  I am really happy with it and proud of it!  This class has really helped me to get in the art of music and help me with music.

DJ

What I learned and problems I solved

Some problems at the start I had were I thought I could add the beats and I could add the rhythm but that is not true.  I found out that is not how it works.

You take the songs beats and then you can change the volume, you can overlap songs and you play with the beats of the song and that is how you get your remix.  I found out after 30 minutes which sucks but I found out and I am glad now I know.

I learned that there are many components to making music and making music sound good.  I found that very cool cause I never knew that and now I do.

Music is very complex and I am just getting started.  Another problem I had was actually the program itself.  I had no idea how to use the program and that was a big problem for me.  After watching tutorials I got a sense.  I only watched a couple tutorials and some didn’t really help me at all.

There were only one or two that really helped me.  I really had to find stuff out and I did which makes me even more proud of my composition. This program is difficult to use but once you get the hang of it you can really make quality stuff with it.

It is a great program and it is great for beginners.  You just have to play around and experiment with it!